As part of Toy Libraries Australia’s COVID-safe plan approved by public health officials, all members are required to thoroughly clean their toys prior to returning them to the toy library.
If you do not clean your toys at home, you will be requested to clean them in the toy library.
If you have items on loan from Gosnells Toy Library and your family has to isolate due to COVID-19, please contact us via email to discuss the options available.
How to clean
Wipe the toy thoroughly with a cloth damp with either a pH-neutral detergent (such as diluted dishwashing detergent) or a 2-in-1 cleaner/disinfectant (most multipurpose sprays available at the supermarket). If using a 2-in-1 multipurpose spray, the solution must be sprayed onto the cloth until it is quite damp. You can use something like an old toothbrush or a cotton bud to get into hard to reach places.
Dry the toy with a tea towel or leave to dry overnight. Please make sure the toy is completely dry before returning it to its bag or box.
If anyone in your family has been unwell (e.g. vomiting, diarrhoea, respiratory infection) please contact the toy library prior to returning the toys for further advice.
- Baby Rattles – Do not immerse rattles in water as they collect water which can lead to harmful bacteria developing. Wipe the surface with soapy water on a cloth.
- Wooden Toys and Train Sets – Wipe over. Allow time to thoroughly dry. These toys should not be immersed or cleaned with harsh chemicals.
- Duplo/Lego – Wash well with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Rinse and leave to drain overnight.
- Bath toys – Please wash after using in the bath and ensure no water remains trapped in the toy.
- Ride Ons, Outdoor & Sandpit Toys – Remove all sand and dirt and clean well with hot soapy water. These must be cleaned well remembering that the next member may wish to use it inside.
- Board Games and Cardboard Puzzles – Paper-based materials, such as puzzles and games, are not considered a high risk for transmission and do not need additional cleaning or disinfection procedures. Please clean counters and other plastic parts of a game.
- Fabric items (Dress-ups/Puppets/Dolls Bedding/Infant Soft Toys) – Hand wash or gentle machine wash with laundry detergent and hang to thoroughly line dry. Fabric items that cannot be cleaned in this way may be wiped over with a damp cloth soaked in neutral detergent.
- Toy storage bags & boxes – Wipe handles and all areas that have been touched, ensuring everything is dry before placing toys back in them.
We thank Cockburn Toy Library for these helpful tips. Should you have any questions regarding items from Gosnells Toy Library and how to best clean them, please contact us directly.